#JoinTheTalanoa on #PasifikaMentalHealth and engage in research that is vital in understanding how we can support the health and wellbeing of our Pasifika communities in New Zealand.

The first phase of the research conducted by Sarah Kapeli (PhD candidate at the University of Auckland) includes a survey, exploring Pacific understandings of mental health – titled ‘Pasifika Mental Health in Aotearoa’.

Please see the research flyer below:

Mālō e lelei, my name is Sarah and I am a New Zealand born Tongan. I am extremely passionate about promoting and uplifting the health and wellbeing of our Pacific communities, which has evolved not only from my own experiences, but from the experiences of my family. This passion has led me towards a research oriented career, where I am currently completing my PhD in Psychology.

I was recently awarded a scholarship by the New Zealand Institute for Pacific Research (NZIPR) to assist with my research project. Pacific peoples are generally harder to sample for research, so my project has a strong focus on recruitment and data analysis, as well as engaging with and supporting aspiring researchers who may find themselves in my position one day. The scholarship from NZIPR will largely contribute to these and its associated costs, an opportunity I feel very blessed to have received.

Given the difficulty to sample Pacific populations in New Zealand, I invite anyone and everyone to engage with my research. In hopes of encouraging as many Pacific peoples to complete this survey, and share with their networks. Even if you do not identify with a Pacific ethnicity, chances are that you know someone who does – so please, share the research information if you can.

It is simple, #JoinTheTalanoa on #PasifikaMentalHealth and let your voice be heard! You can either:

• See and/or share the flyer above
  • Share the survey link or access the survey link to complete the survey now:

Complete the survey here.

Mālō ‘aupito,

Sarah Kapeli

Subscribe By Email

Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.

Please prove that you are not a robot.